[okfn-help] How to tame wordpress?

Bobby Donovan bobby.donovan at okfn.org
Tue Apr 2 19:52:31 UTC 2013

For reference, there's already a network activated plugin that allows
Administrator users of a site to insert html content into a post without it
being stripped down. That was a previous request that I built a plugin
for. Copy
it here if you like<https://github.com/rdonovan/WP-Admin-Unfiltered-HTML/blob/master/admin_unfiltered_html.php>
.

This does not suppress the
wp_autop<http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wpautop>
filter,
which is the one responsible for adding those annoying paragraph tags.
There's a really simple method of disabling
that<http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wpautop#Disabling_the_filter>within
a themes functions.php file. But I've also gone ahead and installed
the plugin suggested by Michael below which you may activate on individual
sites where needed.

Just a side note, whilst I also find this "smart filtering" from Wordpress
annoying, relying on html structure within posts/pages is generally a bad
idea. It's too easy to break as numerous users have direct access to code,
not to mention the potential slow down from additional database load rather
than reading static files.
Correct use of page
templates<http://codex.wordpress.org/Stepping_Into_Templates>is the
preferred method of creating layout, then use the page/post content
as the manageable fill-in. I agree that often you just want WP to get out
of the way and display your content without interfering, just be wary to
not over do it.