[okfn-hu] Hungarian company register?

Béky Miklós miklos.beky at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 11:39:56 UTC 2011

2011/4/3 stef <stefan.marsiske at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:29:54PM +0200, Béky Miklós wrote:
>> as soon as our founding is clarified we are going to parse the
>
> what if it will not be clarified, are there any results already that we can
> reuse if the project will not get funded? is the code out there somewhere? is
> it free?

i am not sure about the status of the code. i would be happy to share
it, however k-monitor has these rights in Hungary currently, so they
have more info about funding and further legal issues.

i pretty much want and so going to finish this project. i am sure that
this could help a lot and i've got very positive feedbacks from
several friends in the media. i have also promises from k-monitor and
tasz to get the funding soon and i really hope that i will not have to
look for any other further supporters, but yes it could happen... so
this way or the other i will put this online, it is already a step and
a good thing that you know about it...

>> government's public procurement information from pdf files and other
>> sources using content patterns until some standard format (
>> preferrably json ) will be available.
>
> how are you parsing the pdfs? will it be manual labor?

i prefer no manual interaction during fetching, at the end we'll have
to write the algorithms to get the data, and since the structure of
the pdfs is the same for four years at least there is a good chance to
make it. but yes, there are some cases where there will be a need for
manual decisions...

>> we also plan to put basic
>> company register information of the monitored organizations. we will
>> collect these from one of the "redistributors" since that will result
>> in traffic (and so income) for them when we link their service for
>> more detailed company register info. however it would be nice to
>> access and link these data drectly if it will be accessible for free
>> in any other way.
>
> i do not like this idea, any data commisioned by public funding must be
> public, we cannot send them traffic and profit using this mechanism. i believe
> this must be changed fundamentally, and not by legitimizing their crooked
> business practices.

I agree, that's why i would prefer to get these data directly from the
data owner for free, but you should see that the actual governement
will be always uninterested in it, especcially for a project like
this...

we are going step by step, if there is no other way we will do it this
way and change the interface later when it becomes possible...

>> regarding the actual question as far as I know the "second market
>> redistributor companies" protect themselfs both legaly and with a
>> captcha on the net, so you cannot fetch all the data and put it online
>> for free, as David mentioned before the current situation is already a
>> step forward even if it could be pushed further.
>
> we can do decentralized scraping (flockscrape) or captcha proxying - your site
> serves captchas of the target site, and your users are transparently solving
> those captchas.

that's dirty but great, i'll keep in mind :)

>> our site is in deep alpha right now with some press information and
>> base data from www.k-monitor.hu, so it may be slow and the current
>> data is from the last few months, so there is not too much hystorical
>> info in it, but it may worth a few clicks:
>>
>> Hungarian ui:
>> http://hazaitop.addig.hu/
>>
>> in progress English ui:
>> http://en.hazaitop.addig.hu/
>> ( translating and localizing the project for other countries could be
>> also a way of extending this kind of approach )
>
> is the code free and available somewhere to try this?

the code is not right now, (see lines above) but you can try the site.
all data is live and actual on it altough it's not historical for
years. we also want to allow data access (an API or just an RSS feed
maybe) to let anyone pull the data from us for furhter analysis or
visualization. it's written in ruby on rails (if anyone would like to
know :) so it's quite flexible...

> have you looked into http://code.littlesis.org/ for some inspirations?

yes, thank you i know the project, we have contacts there

Regards to All,
M.