[okfn-hu] property register

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 14:06:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 22:17, stef <stefan.marsiske at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:45:48PM +0200, Peter Gervai wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 20:44, stef <stefan.marsiske at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > http://www.takarnet.hu/
>>
>> It is a _big_ money source for the property offices and several lawyers.
>
> unfortunately this seems to be the case.

isn't that always?

>> As for government created map data in general we have a pretty nice
>> mess, since most city in Hungary have local building and area policies
>> ("rendezési terv") which contains building law text as well as the
>> complete mapping data. The mapping is usually paid in full by the
>> local govt but the result is most often copyrighted by the company who
>> create it (for govt money, again). These sometimes incorporated into
>> official mapping webpages, which are often opn but not free at all.
>
> this argument might be useful in a public campaign.

I'm rather for a more general approach: public spending -> public data.
This may serve as a useful example, but that's just one next to
publicly funded data collection, software development and such.

>> http://szabrendterv.debrecen.hu/SERVER_ROOT/html/projects/debrecen/main.php
>
> this one uses openstreetmap.

nope, it just offer the possibiliy to use an OSM layer, but since
that's something I'm pretty familar with (I was mapping parts of it
;-)) I know well the difference... :-)

>> > also very useful for tracking wealth and property shenanigans like "savoly"
>>
>> Sure, it would be generally useful, since nearly anyone who wants to
>> buy or rent a property have to pay for getting the information. :-D
>> But I'm sure they'll share enormous numbers with you labeled
>> "operation costs".
>
> oh, but those numbers can be debunked, no?

the numbers are real, of course. it's just not needed. if they'd
release the data to the public the costs would go down hundred times
and the income would become pretty much zero, which would still result
a negative balance. but that's apart from _paying_ for the project,
which is a separate entry; that's only about operation: keeping the
data and offering it to the public for money, collecting the money,
etc. :-)
--
 byte-byte,
    grin