[Okfn-irl] OGP Announcement - Temporary Administrative Assistant Sought for Civil Society Open Government Partnership Forum

Nat O'Connor noconnor at tasc.ie
Mon Feb 10 12:50:04 UTC 2014

Hi Denis,

Thanks for your questions.

As I’ve said before, the role of the administration is absolutely meant to benefit all of civil society working on open government in Ireland. The main thing is what outcomes can we expect from a part-time role over just three months. I’m open to suggestions and I note your comments. My starting ideas are:

·         Take notes on all meetings and post them in a timely fashion online, so people can track what’s happening at meetings and what decisions are being made;

·         Make revisions and updates to the website, again to provide tracking on developments;

·         Write up a list of everyone in civil society involved in activity relevant to OGP. In some cases, local/community initiatives may not even see themselves as part of OGP, but would benefit from the existence of the civil society forum;

·         Write a series of mini-reports about current practice across Ireland relevant to OGP. I see this as a joining-the-dots exercise, showing how everything from the Aarhus Convention and access to environmental information, to open health data, to measures to reduce corruption, citizen participation, etc. are all part of the OGP ‘family’ of initiatives. In order to do this, I would expect the administrator to try to meet and talk to everyone, in order to get a handle on the wide variety of activities that are happening.

TASC has agreed to recruit someone and to handle the legal side of employing a temporary administrator. As well as the email lists, an ad was placed on ActiveLink, which has a wide circulation by email as well as a site: http://www.activelink.ie/content/vacancies/interest-groups/15003

We will shortlist CVs from applicants based on their relevant work experience/skills; knowledge; and availability. Thanks for your note about technical skills. Martin Wallace (Dovetail) has agreed to assist us with telephone interviews for the leading applicants.

I have yet to receive details from DPER re use of the funds, but I am happy to circulate details about what  spending will be permissible. Their initial email indicated €6K for the role (i.e. pay and employers’ PRSI 10.75%) and €2K for any technical assistance, such as changes to http://www.ogpireland.ie/  If the role requires travel, especially outside Dublin, I would hope that can come out of the €2K budget (based on public transport or a modest mileage rate).

Once we have recruited an administrator, I am happy to publish the agreed working hours, etc. to make sure every civil society organisation has a chance to benefit from this role. I am especially keen to document what each group is doing and to have as complete as possible as ‘who’s who’ list of OGP activism in Ireland. I think this exercise will make it really clear that the administrator has connected with and provided a service to everyone.

Kind regards,

Nat