[okfn-dev] Annotator update.

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Mar 1 13:05:44 UTC 2011

On 28 February 2011 21:58, Jessy Kate <jessy.cowansharp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, very awesome!
>
> It would be cool if annotateit.org provided an API to a user's annotations
> so they could be extracted /displayed /integrated into other sites (eg. a
> user's open lab book, for example ). Any plans along those lines?

There is indeed an API -- how do you think we communicate from the
annotator from javascript ;)

Basics docs on the store are in the README, see:
<https://github.com/okfn/annotator-store> (or
<https://bitbucket.org/okfn/annotator-store/src/aabaf3173a4a/README.md>).

The deployed staging instance of the backend store which you can play
around with is at:

<http://uat.annotateit.org/>

And an example of simple integration is the "recent annotations"
widget on the openshakespeare sidebar:

<http://openshakespeare.org/>

Code (15 lines of javascript :) ):

<https://bitbucket.org/okfn/shakespeare/src/b11629a5eb83/shakespeare/public/js/annotations.js>

Rufus

> -- Sent from my phone
>
> On Feb 28, 2011 1:15 PM, "Aron Carroll" <aron.carroll.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just thought I'd post another update on the status of the Annotator. This
>> last week we've focused on updating the permissions plugin to make it more
>> flexible. Also the UI of the annotator has been updated to make it a little
>> nicer to use and to accommodate plugins adding additional fields.
>>
>> The bookmarklet is now hooked up to a staging version of the annotator
>> store. There's a basic version up on a test page if anyone is interested, it
>> currently saves annotations to a staging server.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/246391/bookmarklet/demo.html
>>
>> Feedback on the UI would be appreciated. It's already been noted that the
>> initial disclosure of the edit/delete buttons on the annotation viewer is
>> confusing and that it's not clear the editor is draggable (by dragging the
>> dark grey bar).
>>
>> This week will be focused on getting the bookmarklet working with user
>> accounts on annotateit.org as well as fixing the style bleed that occurs
>> when it's injected into some sites. There’s also now a sparse
>> [wiki](https://github.com/okfn/annotator/wiki) up on the GitHub page for
>> documentation for users and plugin developers. So we’ll be adding to that
>> too.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aron
>>
>> --