[okfn-labs] Spending story: US city bankruptcies

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Aug 9 18:21:38 UTC 2012

As a follow-up to my email yesterday with the US City Bankruptcy
timeline [1], here's some accompanying "research" post (in progress!)
(Note the hack embed of the timeline! Better embedding coming soon
[2]):

<http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/08/05/spending-story-california-city-bankruptcies/>

One quote for me stands out (this is regarding the city of Stockton
(the largest city in the US since Cleveland in 1979 to file for
Bankruptcy):

<quote>
Since FY08-09, the City has been forced through lack of funds to
reduce sworn General Fund Police staffing by 25%, Fire staffing by 30%
and all other staffing by 43%. Programs and services have been reduced
to minimum – or below minimum – levels. Sworn Police staffing per
1,000 residents has dropped from a high of 1.52 per 1,000 residents in
2005 to 1.16 currently, and in the face of a rising local crime rate.
While violent crime rates dropped 5.5% nationwide in 2010, they were
up in Stockton, which ranked 10th in the U.S. with 13.81 violent
crimes per 1,000 residents.
</quote>

Regards,

Rufus