[okfn-labs] data-converters repo

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Aug 7 13:43:27 UTC 2012

IMO the focus here is the Web-service, i.e. machine interface.

Building a user app on top of that would then be a next step but not
the first step (witness how http://explorer.datahub.io/ uses
dataproxy).

That said starting from a simple UI may be attractive not least from a
testing and usage standpoint.

Rufus

On 7 August 2012 14:10, Gregor Aisch <gregor.aisch at okfn.org> wrote:

> So, who is the target group for this collection?
>
> A journalist, who typically has some struggle with data formats in his
> day-to-day-work, would probably prefer different solutions (web & desktop
> interfaces) than a developer who is looking to automate converting tasks
> (low-level libraries)
>
> -G.
>

> Am 07.08.2012 um 15:00 schrieb Michael Bauer:
>
> Rufus,
>
> Maybe put the pointer to the issues into the README.
>
> Can do so.
>
> Mihi
>
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:07:49PM +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
> I've also just booted an informal "data-converters" repo:
>

> <https://github.com/okfn/data-converters>
>

> At present it's more of a place to centralize discussion on various
>
> converters than a place for code and so the place to to dive in is the
>
> issues:
>

> <https://github.com/okfn/data-converters/issues>
>

> Rufus
>

> ### Connections
>

> Connects with existing OKFN work on e.g. the DataProxy:
>
> <https://github.com/okfn/dataproxy>
>

> Connects with work in CKAN on importing data into the DataStore
>

> Connects with Max's work on nodejs file conversion
>
> <https://github.com/maxogden/dataroller> (I had a long chat with Max
>
> about a file conversion service when in SF back in May!)

> Two molecules clanking against each other require an observer to become
> scientific data.
> -- Allen Ginsberg - Cosmopolitan Greetings 1986

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation