[okfn-labs] Announcing code contest using web crawl data from Common Crawl

Allison Domicone allison at commoncrawl.org
Fri Jul 27 09:14:04 UTC 2012

Hello there!

My name is Allison Domicone. I work for Common Crawl, a US-based nonprofit
organization that is building and maintaining an open crawl of the web. I'm
writing to invite you take part in our first code
contest<http://commoncrawl.org/first-ever-code-contest/>,
which we announced last week just after the release of our latest corpus of
web crawl data <http://commoncrawl.org/2012-crawl-data-now-available/>,
which includes data from 2012. I'm including the full contest info below
(including awesome prizes!), and I hope you'll feel inspired to submit an
entry. Please help us spread the word by forwarding to any other data
junkies/wranglers as well. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to be
in touch.

Thanks,

Allison

Announcing the 1st Ever Common Crawl Code Contest

http://commoncrawl.org/first-ever-code-contest/

We’re calling all data and open-web enthusiasts to help us demonstrate the
power of web crawl data with our 1st Ever Common Crawl Code Contest!

 What can you do with 5 billion web pages? The Common Crawl Code Contest
invites developers, data junkies, hackers and coders to dive into our
corpus of web crawl data and come back with some compelling insights. Use
your coding skills and the powerful AWS tools to seek information from
Common Crawl’s rich corpus of web crawl data.

Competition Details:

   - The contest will run six weeks from July 19th to August 30th.
   - All entries must utilize Common Crawl data and address one of these
   two topics : Job Trends or Social Impact Analysis.

 Judging:

   - Three winning entries will be selected and prizes awarded.
   - Our panel of judges will select one winning entry from each category.
   - The third prize, a Peoples’ Choice, will be selected by the public.

 Prizes:

   - Each grand prize winner will receive an awesome prize package that
   includes $1000 cash, an O’Reilly Data Science Starter Kit, one year of
   GitHub’s Small Plan, really cool swag, and a chance to win a full access
   pass to Strata 2012! Check out the full list of prizes and stay tuned as
   more prizes will be announced in the coming weeks.

Be sure to take a look at our new
video<http://commoncrawl.org/common-crawls-brand-spanking-new-video-and-first-ever-code-contest>and
these
helpful resources<https://commoncrawl.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CRWL/Helpful+Guides+and+Links>.
You can also join our Discussion
List<http://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#%21forum/common-crawl>where
you can find inspiration and advice from the community. Link to full
contest rules in footer.

Click here to get started <http://commoncrawl.org/get-started/>!

--
Allison Domicone