[okfn-labs] Ideas for simple mini-projects we could do - RFC

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Tue Jul 17 13:36:51 UTC 2012

We could finalise the team and topic of the sprint around the OKFestival,
which we can call "OKF Lab" (as suggested by Friedrich) and have the first
sprint in early October. We were thinking of a shorter sprint and a larger
team: 6-7 days and 5-6 people, as many people engaged in other projects and
jobs might not be able to commit 2 entire weeks.

We should also consider making an open call for suggestions (through a blog
post and spreading the word beyond the Labs mailing list). As it stands
now, we might have to do a more narrow theme suggestion: OKF Lab on Energy
and Environment, OKF Lab on Cultural Heritage, OKF Corruption Lab etc.. in
order to have a more clear profile of what the event would be and maybe
find a client or supporting organisation / institution, which can present a
challenge, offer expert input and results from more in-depth research and
eventually adopt the app / tool we build around the challenge.

Do we want to identify a contact person behind each idea who would prepare
some input?

How do we take these suggestions beyond an EtherPad?

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> Great! Is there a timeframe for this? E.g. would it make sense to
> establish quarterly iterations (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec)?
> Which would mean that we are currently on an iteration which ends in
> September - perhaps around OKFestival? ;-)
>
> I've added some ideas to the pad. Some culture/humanities apps ideas -
> and an idea for an investigation on Europe's dirty energy lobby,
> including some links.
>
> J.
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been thinking a bit about how we could plan mini-projects be that to
> > build stuff or do an "investigation" of some kind.
> >
> > I've made some notes in an etherpad here: http://labs.okfnpad.org/ideas
> > (also inlined below).
> >
> > Comments, additional idea suggestions, expressions of interest all
> welcome
> > :-)
> >
> > Rufus
> >

> > # June/July 2012
> >
> > 1. Pull together ideas for mini-apps or investigations to do. These
> should
> > be things achievable in 1-2 weeks (perhaps using max 2-4 person weeks of
> > effort) and would be something people would interested in doing a sprint
> on.
> >
> > 2. Choose ideas to work on. Once we have ideas we choose 1/2 to work on
> with
> > a specific deadline and window of time when we work on it. (Can have
> more if
> > enough people interested - probably if 2-3 *committed* people per item)
> >
> > 3. We do it. May include a one day virtual hackday along the way.
> >

> > ###############################################
> > # Ideas
> > ###############################################
> >
> > Please add your own to the initial examples provided here!
> >
> > ## Apps
> >
> > ### openliterature.net = textus + gutenizer
> >
> > http://openliterature.net/ - Gutenberg texts in Textus or similar
> >
> > ### texts.annotateit.org - upload a text and get annotating
> >
> > * would this be better using textus (+ git(hub) / gists)
> >
> > ### Pybossa
> >
> >   * transcriber
> >   * reconciler
> >
> > ### wikipedia.js - js script to get data on wikipedia articles via
> dbpedia
> >
> > Connect to dbpedia virtuoso endpoint and give back key info.
> >
> > ### timeliner - https://github.com/okfn/timeliner
> >

> > ## Investigations
> >
> > ### Greek crisis
> >
> > * What's going on?
> > * Connection with OpenSpending
> >
> > ### Olympics (spending etc)
> >
> >   * Extend to Rio + World Cup (??)
> >
> > ### Bailii scrape
> >
> > Large amount of commercial litigation takes place in London.
> >
> > ### Financial Crisis
> >
> > What happened, who won, who lost out.
> >
> > Application of timeliner etc.

> [...]

Velichka Dimitrova
Project and Community Coordinator for Labs
Coordinator for Economics and Energy Projects
Open Knowledge Foundation
http://okfnlabs.org/ | http://openeconomics.net