[okfn-labs] nomenklatura: web-based, interactive data linking service

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Jul 25 09:08:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM,  <mihi at tentacleriot.eu> wrote:
> Friedrich,
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:00:58AM +0200, Friedrich Lindenberg wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> > One thing from my end: I'm not quite sure to do once I turn up at the
>> > website - in essence where's the call to action.
>>
>> Good point, how would you frame it: manage your data, clean it up and ...?
>>
>> This isn't supposed to be a crowdsourcing thing, necessarily, it's
>> just useful for data cleansing even on your own...
>
> Haven't looked at the codebase yet - how easy is it to use an offline
> version for a certain dataset?

You can run it locally, of course, but that's not the point - it
mostly makes sense to run this online so that whatever your scripts do
becomes replicable with a centralized store.

> As soon as it's online I'd rather outfit it
> for collaborative linking as well - but that are just my preferences.

Don't get me wrong: you can already allow everyone to edit your
dataset (kind of a wiki-mode), but in most scenarios where I thought
about using this, I don't want that to happen: making these judgments
is not a hard activity, but it does require context and trust.

Plus, I don't think its a fantastically interesting thing to
crowdsource - it's pretty nerdy and does not directly contribute to
something visible most of the time. But I'm happy to be proven wrong
with other examples :)

Cheers,

 - Fr.