[okfn-labs] Recline Data Explorer has local CSV file import support

Jessy Kate Schingler jessy at jessykate.com
Fri Mar 30 17:03:19 UTC 2012

cool rufus!

i  missed your demo the other week so i'm just getting familiar with
refine...  so pardon if any of these comments are misaligned with the goals
or things you've already explained.

as someone not familiar with most of the technologies you're mentioning in
the docs, it's a bit opaque. it seems to be telling me more what it's using
rather than HOW to use it. now i'm excited to go geek out and learn about
backbone and google refine-- but i'm still not sure what the tool does
:p. the source code <http://okfnlabs.org/recline/docs/model.html> docs are
awesome, but docs targeted towards users rather than hackers would be
really helpful.

is refine targeted just at local previews? i don't see or is there a save
and retrieve functionality too?

i tried uploading a 9.4 kb CSV file to the demo site, which fails silently.
the javascript console (chrome) shows this error:

Uncaught Error: Can't add the same model to a set twice,VC01

i would be surprised if this csv file was already on the site since it was
a random census file i downloaded yesterday :).

i seem to be able to turn read-only mode "on" but not "off" again?

regarding the html5 local file api i recently came across this mozilla post
describing the issues with it - mostly lamenting, as you note, the
synchronous nature of file uploads and the performance effects. interesting
reading:
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/03/there-is-no-simple-solution-for-local-storage/

the demo on thedatahub.org looks great.

jessy

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> Recline Data Explorer now has importing from CSV local file ([1])
> using HTML5 file API:
>
> http://okfnlabs.org/recline/demo/
>
> Use it via via (newly introduced [2]) import menu at top right, for
> example see this screenshot:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/okfn/7028889357/sizes/l/in/photostream/
>
> I note several possible issues:
>
> * Have not checked on performance with "large" files. For the record
> my test usage was using fairly simple files like this (~40 items, 5k
> items, and 200k items):
>
> <
> http://thedatahub.org/dataset/search-engines-market-share/resource/9e86022d-ff6d-4a32-863f-813faf9fe1b8
> >
> <
> http://thedatahub.org/dataset/iso-4217-currency-codes/resource/69ec48a5-4195-4439-92cf-d15096b9b20a
> >
> <
> http://thedatahub.org/dataset/exchange-rates/resource/8847379e-c0f1-4f5b-8bed-129574cc823f
> >

> Last of these hung in Chrome for around 5s but loaded fine.
>
> * Have not checked how it performs with weird and wonderful encodings.
> HTML5 File API appears to deliver utf8 by default but not sure whether
> that helps or hinders. Would be interested in reports from people here
> -- so if you've got a file with weird stuff please try it out and let
> me know.
>
> * NB: if you download and use recline locally the file import will not
> work by default in chrome unless you serve recline from a local
> webserver because of the well-known Chrome security restriction on
> it by running Recline from local webserver :-)
>
> Rufus
>
> [1]: https://github.com/okfn/recline/issues/39
> [2]: https://github.com/okfn/recline/issues/36

Jessy