[okfn-labs] Gauging hack day interest: London and One Health

Zach Beauvais z.beauvais at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 10:19:04 UTC 2012

Hi Hannes,

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

OK, this sounds pretty familiar in some ways. I helped run a medical-based open day (sessions and seminars, rather than hacking) focused on bioinformatics mostly. I think the focus of the topic made it a bit more approachable by the biologists/medics, but it was slow going to get non developers there. We'll definitely need to be gathering interest now. I'm thinking my wife's contacts might be a good start at least, and might have some more leads.

Can you recommend any specific kinds of medical researcher that we'd absolutely need to have?

Do you think a more specific focus than "One Health" might help? If, for example, we focused on hacking epidemiology or *just* zoonotic diseases? (Though, now I shudder to think of getting the narrower data :) ). Some of these could do with apps which actually acquire data, or help to organise them, which is one of the things which might help if the data available is low. A mobile app building onto CKAN for field/population data gathering is one idea, for example. These look a little similar to the Health Insurance app you mentioned (http://healthinsurance.opendata.ch/) in that they're population-based, so might tie in with larger, public datasets (data.gov.uk sets even, if any are close enough). There is also some interest in apps which present and communicate data well.

Hacking medical devices sounds particularly interesting, but might be beyond my immediate contact sphere. I do know a company trying to build espresso machines capturing a host of variables (coffee geeks love data… I think it goes with not sleeping much). I wonder if they'd have some ideas for other data-rich hardware…? (http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com/, might be a long shot).

Also, were any of the people from the make camp based in the UK?

Please feel free to ping me if I can be of help. I've not yet been to Switzerland, and am looking for an excuse :).

Best,
-Z

--
Zach Beauvais | @zbeauvais (http://twitter.com/zbeauvais)