[okfn-labs] ANN: http://data.okfn.org/ - Frictionless Data - Making it as simple as possible to get the data you want into the tool of your choice

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Fri Apr 26 08:18:14 UTC 2013

Hey,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> On 24 April 2013 15:18, Friedrich Lindenberg
> <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> >
> > Congrats on the nice explainers for the various components! I am
> wondering though whether most of this shouldn't go to dataprotocols.org?
>
> Interesting. it was Martin (Keegan) who (very persuasively!) argued
> these should go together. Ultimately this is about an ecosystem of
> components and the standards are central to that.
>
> Furthermore, Data Protocols has a bunch of other stuff - it isn't one
> coherent set of stuff (in the way that DP + Simple Data Format + JSON
> Table Schema is).

On that note, it may be cool to have a process by which something becomes
an endorsed component of dataprotocols: the "random collection" thing seems
like a genuine issue, so it'd be cool to fix that :)

> > The way it's set up now, data.okfn.org serves three distinct purposes,
> two of which relate to process (tools and standards), while the third (the
> actual data) is about the contents - i.e. its a very different discussion.
> I feel like there's a natural tendency for any process debate ("can this be
> GeoJSON, too?") to drown out the content debate ("which data are we missing
> here?").
>
> Point well taken. The idea is that the 3 groups of things *are*
> coherent *and* interlinked. The "standards" of Data packages + Simple
> Data format are a keystone for everything else -- and conversely
> standards, without the running code and wrangled data mean little.

Hm, I guess that I'm still stuck on the "noun project for data" idea, where
the home page doesn't pitch you on how to use Illustrator. They have docs (
http://thenounproject.com/for-designers/), but these are fairly specific to
the site - it's an FAQ, not an icon design guide.

But anyway, it'll be cool to see how this grows either way!

- Friedrich