[okfn-labs] ANN: http://data.okfn.org/ - Frictionless Data - Making it as simple as possible to get the data you want into the tool of your choice

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Apr 24 15:09:32 UTC 2013

On 24 April 2013 15:18, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:

> Congrats on the nice explainers for the various components! I am wondering though whether most of this shouldn't go to dataprotocols.org?

Interesting. it was Martin (Keegan) who (very persuasively!) argued
these should go together. Ultimately this is about an ecosystem of
components and the standards are central to that.

Furthermore, Data Protocols has a bunch of other stuff - it isn't one
coherent set of stuff (in the way that DP + Simple Data Format + JSON
Table Schema is).

> The way it's set up now, data.okfn.org serves three distinct purposes, two of which relate to process (tools and standards), while the third (the actual data) is about the contents - i.e. its a very different discussion. I feel like there's a natural tendency for any process debate ("can this be GeoJSON, too?") to drown out the content debate ("which data are we missing here?").

Point well taken. The idea is that the 3 groups of things *are*
coherent *and* interlinked. The "standards" of Data packages + Simple
Data format are a keystone for everything else -- and conversely
standards, without the running code and wrangled data mean little.

> That, of course, doesn't mean that data.okfn.org shouldn't serve as a testing ground for the process established on dataprotocols.org.

A last point here would be to consider an "outsider" point of view:
the more different places you have to look the more lost you're likely
to get ;-) Pulling things together into a coherent whole has a benefit
in itself.

Rufus