[okfn-labs] Next generation data catalogues.

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Mon Aug 26 15:33:27 UTC 2013

I think this could totally belong in Labs...

I saw a bit of the IRC conversation, but I'd love to understand the
specific things which a NG catalog would do/need as well. I'm far from a
CKAN expert but having a sense at a tech product manager level of what NG
would mean in this space would be super.

Laura

On 26 August 2013 15:45, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There was a bit of discussion on the #ckan channel this morning between
> some developers
> building data catalogs around what a next-generation data catalog would
> look like.  It was
> noted that it might _not_ look like CKAN, and so we booted up the
> catalog-ng organisation
> on github (https://github.com/catalog-ng) as a place to work on some
> ideas and proof-of-concepts
> around what we think would be included in a new data catalog using the
> knowledge gained
> working with CKAN.
>
> There really isn't a plan yet, certainly the intention isn't to damage
> CKAN in any way, but more
> of a way to experiment with building catalogs without any of the baggage
> involved with a
> mature product - what would you build today with the new tech available
> and the experience
> of working with CKAN.  Rather than go through the process of doing this
> outside, I thought it might
> be useful to do this as part of labs and keep it inside OKF, and possibly
> keep it on a OKF mailing list.
>
> Does this belong in OKFN-labs? Does the idea of building something new in
> that area sound
> vaguely interesting to anyone (other than those of us with work with CKAN
> day-to-day)?
>

> Ross.

*

Dr Laura James