[okfn-labs] Next generation data catalogues.

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Mon Aug 26 16:07:35 UTC 2013

I don't think there's a clear picture yet, or more likely we have three cloudy visions - hopefully
soon we'll have even more cloudy visions :) Each  of us have things we particularly dislike
about CKAN, or things we want to implement but which CKAN doesn't do a good job of enabling.
Perhaps dislike is the wrong word, but you probably know what I mean.

At the moment I think the plan is to aim for something 'lean and mean' that provides most
of the core functionality of CKAN, that will allow us to build on top of.  Although as Friedrich
pointed out it may be that his 'datasets' repo is a good place to start.

Currently the approach is to be, build a PoC, throw it against a wall and see if it sticks.  For instance,
I think Samuele is trying out building a catalog on top of a CMS - perhaps that's the correct approach,
until we try it, we won't know.  I personally think an NG Catalog looks a lot like a library that anyone
can add to their own project (be it flask, django, whatever) - perhaps it's even just a collection of services.
Maybe it's a mixture of the two.  I think the key thing is to be able to experiment without being constrained
to how CKAN sees the world. I guess you could call it design by accretion.

Also (at least for me) there's a little bit of second system syndrome, which I'm trying really, really hard to
rein in ;)

Ross.