[okfn-labs] Data Protocols - recent developments related to Data Packages

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Dec 5 08:20:51 UTC 2013

Hi All (cross-posting from data protocols
list<https://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/data-protocols>
),

Most activity on Data Protocols proposals takes place in the issue tracker
so I thought it would be worth sharing some updates here.

Regards,

Rufus

*## Primary Key Support in JSON Table Schema and Simple Data Format*

We're closing in on final agreement on a spec for adding "primary keys" to
JSON Table Schema. Consensus is now away from a simple inline "primarykey:
true" attribute on fields and towards having primary keys along with
"foreign keys" in a separate constraints or keys section. Discussion is in
this issue:

https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/21

*## "Foreign Keys" in JSON Table Schema*

Like with primary keys we're look to be closing out foreign keys. Basic
"reference" structure will look like:

{
  "name": "resource-a",
  "schema":{
    "fields":[
      {
        "name": "X"
      }, ...
    ],
    constraints: {
      "foreign_keys": [
        {
          "name": # optional name for this foreign key
          "fields": string or array of fields on local resource
          "reference": {
            foreign-key reference as above
          }
        }
      ]
    ]
  }
}

More discussion in https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/23

*## JSON Data Views Spec Discussion*

Early stage proposal for a JSON spec for describing views of data like
graphs or maps. Probably focus this just on graphs to start with.
https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/77