[okfn-labs] Crowdcrafting + reference lists = crowdsource lists of stuff?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Feb 21 12:36:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've been recently wondering whether it might be possible to use
Crowdcrafting to crowdsource lists of things. A fairly standard case would
be finding an X for every Y, where Y is something like:

  * Every country in the world
  * Every city in a given country
  * Every state/region in a given country
  * Every public body in given country

For the X you might want to have one field for the piece of information
that you're after and another field for the URL that you found it on.

For Y, there might be some standard reference lists that you could use
(like lists of countries around the world, or cities in a given country),
or you might also want to upload a list yourself.

I guess a publicly editable Google Docs spreadsheet might well be the best
thing to do in the first instance, but thought that it also could be
interesting to have things like % done, possibility of multiple respondents
to verify a given response, etc.

Could Crowdcrafting easily be used for this sort of thing?

J.

--
Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>
Director of Policy and Ideas