[okfn-labs] Crowdcrafting + reference lists = crowdsource lists of stuff?

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:02:05 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Emanuil Tolev <emanuil at cottagelabs.com>wrote:

> E.g.: I want to make a list of all organisations which are helping animals
> in Bulgaria. Do I:
>
> 2/ use mechanical turk - heh, heh :). Nope. (Sorry, just my gut reaction.)
>     -- can I target people by location in m. turk? (There's no point in
> having US-based m. turks fishing in Google for whatever they can find in
> English. I'm unlikely to get good suggestions for getting the information -
> they have to move on to the next task, most don't care about my project.)

Do you need people who live in Bulgaria, who speak Bulgarian, or a familiar
with present day Bulgarian culture?  They are, as I'm sure you're aware,
three different things.

MTurk allows you to set arbitrary qualifications for workers.  I suspect
you'd really want language speakers, but one of the standard qualifications
is Locale
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSMechTurk/latest/AWSMturkAPI/ApiReference_LocaleDataStructureArticle.html
so you can restrict workers based on that.
You can also create tests for your own custom qualifications (can tell cats
from dogs, etc).

Tom