[okfn-labs] Commons Technology Summit - Draft ideas

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jul 15 13:21:37 UTC 2013

On 12 July 2013 14:42, Jonas Öberg <jonas at shuttleworthfoundation.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm new to this list and for those of you who don't know me, I'm a Fellow
> of the Shuttleworth Foundation working on technologies and metadata for
> attribution and licensing information of digital works. I previously worked
> for Creative Commons and the Free Software Foundation Europe.
>
> As you may know, Creative Commons has in the past organised a series of
> technology summits but the last one was too many years ago and so myself
> and a few others have started drafting some plans for a more general
> Commons Technology Summit[*].

Big +1 here and we'd be up for helping to organize!

I also know that there were discussions from last OKFestival / OKCon about
organizing a dedicated data wranglers event tentatively named "DataConf" at
the time  (perhaps Small Data Conf given our inclinations!). Ideas was of
an informal, community organized data conference for data wranglers.
Perhaps start a separate thread but there seem definite complementarities
with this.

> I'm including a list of the currently proposed topics for such a summit
> (the tentative date of which is sometime towards the end of the year,
> somewhere in Europe). You're all most welcome to contribute to the thinking
> and express your interest in participating:
>
>    http://okfnpad.org/ctechsummit

I've added myself - I could suggest some more data-oriented topic areas but
I plan to hold off for the time being :-)

To follow up Michael's suggestion may be worth a post on this that we can
then circulate to gauge interest! (Instructions for adding blog posts here:
http://okfnlabs.org/blog/add/ ...)

Rufus
*

*