[okfn-labs] Ideas for data mashups and improved visualisation for CKAN

Daniel Lombraña González teleyinex at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 16:47:05 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Just to give you a different point of view, due to the usage that I'm doing
of CKAN :-)

Several of you have said that people might not find it interesting to embed
data viz on websites, because the data comes from governments. However, in
my case, specially in the case of PyBossa, the data may come from
scientific projects, and I guess people will actually like the option to
embed the viz in a simple way ;-)

I completely agree with Friedrich about the complexity of drawing
everything for every data type is very complex, so probably, exporting the
data using third-party tools in a simple way would help as suggested by
Gavin.

In any case, from the PyBossa point of view, it would be very helpful to
have what Friedrich has suggested as well as a simple tool for creating
some charts.

All the best,

Daniel

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Gavin Chait <gavin.chait at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi Friedrich,
>
> Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate exactly that many people may not
> want to embed directly from a government site.  The additional components
> you mention, JS pivot tables and a mashup recommender, sound brilliant  too.
>
> I don’t think the intention is to glue everything together, but the
> current approach of download data from one place, do the analysis/mashup in
> a spreadsheet, then upload to a variety of places to achieve different
> visual ends does create a lot of work.
>
> CKAN has an API that should facilitate integration with these different
> platforms, whether they are deployed with CKAN or the data is piped through
> to them during search.
>
> Regards
>
> Gavin

> Gavin Chait
> Head of Services | skype: whythawk | M:  +44 (0) 78 9495 7090 | @GavinChait
> The Open Knowledge Foundation
> Empowering through Open Knowledge
> http://okfn.org/ | @okfn | OKF on Facebook | Blog | Newsletter

http://daniellombrana.es
http://citizencyberscience.net
Por favor, NO utilice formatos de archivo propietarios para el
intercambio de documentos, como DOC y XLS, sino PDF, HTML, RTF, TXT, CSV
o cualquier otro que no obligue a utilizar un programa de un
fabricante concreto para tratar la información contenida en él.