[okfn-labs] Ideas for data mashups and improved visualisation for CKAN

James Farnam jf at farnamllc.com
Wed Jul 24 17:17:22 UTC 2013

Gavin, Friedrich et al-

The Open Indicators Consortium, a loose federation of 18 data projects in
the US (members here
<http://info.oicweave.org/projects/weave/wiki/OIC_Members> ) has been
working for four years with the UMass Lowell Institute for Visualization and
Perception Research <http://www.uml.edu/Research/IVPR/about.aspx>  to
develop Weave (Web-based Analysis and Visualization Environment) an open
source data visualization platform you may have heard of.   See details and
access the code at www.oicweave.org and documentation at our wiki --
info.oicweave.org <http://www.info.oicweave.org>   Source code at
https://github.com/IVPR/Weave

Recent projects in Weave include:

.         an Analysts' Work Station that integrates R and Weave into a user
friendly system;

.         ADA Compliance for the visualizations;

.         Collaboration which allows multiple users to come together and
work on a data set with audio, video and chat capabilities;

.         code to allow Weave and its infrastructure for session state and
data management to connect with the multitude of JS libraries available,
some of which Friedrich refers to; and

.         Infomaps which connects to an maps results of searches of Internet
bibliographic databases related to key words in the data one is exploring.

We have at any time 15 or more students in the IVPR lab working on the
project, with four Google Summer of code students on it this summer, and 18
OIC members around the US implementing Weave in our web sites ( list of
links here
<http://info.oicweave.org/projects/weave/wiki/OIC_Member_Web_Sites_incorpora
ting_Weave> ).

We are always looking for partners and to get Weave integrated into other
open source packages.  We think this would make an ideal visualization
platform and tremendous enhancement for CKAN.

Let me know if you would like to set up a Webex meeting with Georges
Grinstein our PI to explore possibilities.

Jim Farnam  jf at farnamllc.com

Connecticut Data Collaborative