[okfn-labs] I think there's a better way

Donald McLean dmclean62 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 03:55:04 UTC 2013

Have you ever had a file/document you couldn't open because you didn't have
the right application? Or perhaps you could open it, but not in the
application you wanted to use, because that app didn't support that format?
Is there really so much difference between an email and a text document?
Between a to-do list and a contact?

Why can't we link data together more seamlessly? My emails from my friend
Bob should be linked to his contact information, and the pictures of him,
and the calendar entries for what we have planned. If my company hires a
new guy who's going to work on a project with me, shouldn't I just be able
to send him everything relating to the project, all in one blob?

These are just a few of the clues that lead me to conclude that the
file/document based approach to storing information on computers could be
replaced with something better. For several years I've been working on this
problem and I have a few ideas.

Is this kind of work of any interest to this group?

Thank you,

Donald