[okfn-labs] [ANN] TimeMapper - Create Elegant TimeMaps from Google Spreadsheets in seconds

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Oct 14 23:25:33 UTC 2013

Hi Alioune,

This is great. I actually run a bunch of the local demos off a simple
inlined data e.g.
https://github.com/okfn/timemapper/blob/master/test/data/db/tester/napoleon/datapackage.json

Each timemap entry is actually stored in Data Package datapackage.json file
with the actual "data" (ie. the entries in the timemap) list as a resource
in the Data Package. By default this resource points to a google doc
spreadsheet but you can have any data source that Recline supports
including google spreadsheets, CSVs, pure JSON etc.

These non-google spreadsheet data sources aren't supported in the frontend
as yet but it is requested and is on the roadmap - see
https://github.com/okfn/timemapper/issues/60

Rufus

On 14 October 2013 11:05, Alioune Dia <dia.aliounes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank Ruff , we are using TimeMapper to experiment a new project to
> map history of senegal,  we are using a  local backend file
> https://github.com/senegalouvert/senegalhistory  for this moment , not
> Gdocs Backend . We have juste started this project Here
> ThanK for Good job you  are doing .
>
> Alioune Dia  | OKFNSn
>
> 2013/10/14 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:
> > Hi All,
> >

> > TimeMapper is a new simple Labs app that lets you build, save and share
> > interactive timemaps from Google spreadsheets quickly and easily.
> >

> > http://timemapper.okfnlabs.org
> >

> > More information in this post:
> > http://okfnlabs.org/blog/2013/10/11/timemapper.html
> >

> > Tweet: http://twitter.com/OKFNLabs/status/388741882324340736
> >

> > Examples:
> >
> > Major Battles in the Napoleonic Wars
> > Medieval Philosophers
> > US City Bankruptcies since the Financial Crisis
> > Archaeology of Wine
> >
> > In terms of the internals the app is a basic node.js app with storage
> into
> > s3. The timemap viz is pure JS built using KnightLabs excellent
> Timeline.js
> > for the timeline and Leaflet (with OSM) for the maps. For those
> interested
> > in the code it can be found here: https://github.com/okfn/timemapper/
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Rufus
> >
> > PS: if you’re wondering what is the relation of this to Timeliner -
> > TimeMapper is the evolution of Timeliner into a fully-fledged app
> (Timeliner
> > - despite its name! - actually did timemaps!) and Timeliner will soon be
> > deprecated in favour of TimeMapper!

*

Rufus Pollock

Founder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>|