[okfn-labs] Combining and republishing datasets with different licenses

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Sep 2 01:22:03 UTC 2013

IANAL but default answer would be to license a "derived" database / dataset
under the ODbL. If you thought the reuse was sufficiently minimal then the
licenses may not "bind" and you'd be free to license as you wish.

Rufus

On 30 August 2013 12:00, Julius Chrobak <julius at mingle.io> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'd like to ask you a question of how to resolve the issue of combining
> and republishing datasets with different licenses.
>
> For example, I'd like to join data from GeoNames and OpenStreetMap.
> GeoNames is available under CC BY 3.0 and OpenStreetMap under ODbL. What
> happens if I join these two datasets and  get a response where some
> attributes come from one source and some from the other, and some
> attributes are calculated? How should the derived data be licensed?
>
> We are having this discussion currently in our team at mingle.io. Our
> users can easily mix and mingle with different Open Data and we would like
> to help them understand what are the consequences of mixing data under
> different licenses. We ourselves have a lot of ideas for derived data sets
> and we'd like to put them on mingle.io.
>
> Any thoughts on this? Has anyone looked into this issue already?
>

> Thanks and regards,
> Julius Chrobak
> co-founder of mingle.io - query API for Open Data <https://mingle.io>
> t.: +41 44 830 00 33 / @julochrobak
> Hertistrasse 1, CH-8304 Wallisellen

*

Rufus Pollock

Founder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>|