[okfn-labs] Netiquette Guidelines (was Data Package (datapackage.json) validator improvements)

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 14:48:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Thomas Levine <_ at thomaslevine.com> wrote:

> On 26 Aug, stef wrote:
>
> > please make yourself (not only addressing alioune, but all the other
> newcomers
> > to the internet) familiar with rfc1855, especially the parts on what
> kind of
> > messages to send to mailing-lists: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
>
> In case you didn't get it, (I didn't.) this is the relevant section.
>
> > If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
> > summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
> > enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
> > sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
> > Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
> > postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
> > response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
> > helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

My interpretation was that he was publicly chiding Alioune, not for
excessive quoting, for sending a message which, he felt, was inappropriate
to send to the entire list -- in the process, violating the very same
guideline that we was attempting to enforce.

I thought it was kind of obnoxious myself and would hope that the okfn-labs
list would be a friendlier place than that.

Tom