[okfn-labs] Making it easier for people to figure out what's going on in OKFN

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Wed Feb 5 07:43:47 UTC 2014

I hate all abbreviations :)  We've used OKF and OKFN in the past when we
need abbreviations, and more recently we've used "OKF" for the central
organisation, and "OKFN" for the broader network because this has helped us
think about things a bit more clearly.  But they are pretty bad
abbreviations, and we know it's unclear what we mean.

We try to call ourselves the Open Knowledge Foundation [in full].
"Foundation" makes this a lot of syllables but it's the name we've got for
now :)

But for domains - we own okfn.org and it's well known. Likewise, we own
@OKFN on twitter. We don't have other alternatives there at the present
time. Maybe one day we will do ;)  3 letter TLDs & twitter handles are
difficult/costly.

On a not totally unrelated note we are currently working on a better
okfn.org website and one of the things we're improving is the project
portfolio so it will be easier to see what's going on and what's happened
historically. For this list you probably want
http://okfnlabs.org/projects/ mostly
but in some weeks I hope the new okfn.org site will be useful & interesting
too :)

Cheers,

Laura

*Dr Laura JamesCEO  | skype: laura.james  |  @LaurieJ