[okfn-labs] Making it easier for people to figure out what's going on in OKFN

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:30:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Laura James <laura.james at okfn.org> wrote:

> I hate all abbreviations :)  We've used OKF and OKFN in the past when we
> need abbreviations, and more recently we've used "OKF" for the central
> organisation, and "OKFN" for the broader network because this has helped us
> think about things a bit more clearly.  But they are pretty bad
> abbreviations, and we know it's unclear what we mean.

So is there any plan to move to clearer and more consistent terminology?
 Clearly you can see how using the same term (OKFN) to refer to both the
"broader network" AND the "central organization" will be massively
confusing people.

Since OKFN is already taken for the OKF domain name and Twitter handle, I'd
suggest that it's not an appropriate candidate for referring to the OKFN
Network/OKF Network and that a new term should be chosen.

It may seem like a minor point, but being able to explain things clearly
and consistently is actually pretty important and a solid naming scheme is
an important foundation for that.

Tom