[okfn-labs] Data validation reporting

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Nov 19 12:50:18 UTC 2014

Something I would really need is a stand-alone, light-weight structured
logging system for ETL processes in Python. That's the more general version
of what we were doing with the UK25k stuff a few years ago, and it would
not overlap with CSVLint. Features:

* Be able to log structured data from ETL processes
* Generate custom, jinja2-based reports from them
* Have a set of pre-defined gauges to test for stuff like null values,
extreme values etc.
* Have an emailer for certain really nasty events

Here's a very duct-tapey version of this:
https://github.com/pudo/scrapekit/blob/master/scrapekit/logs.py - basically
just hacked the Python logger to make JSON. Wanted to extract it as
"reportkit", but haven't gotten around to that.

- Friedrich