[okfn-labs] Open Knowledge Labs Badges

Daniel Fowler me at danfowler.net
Tue Jan 20 11:16:08 UTC 2015

Hi all,

There have been various conversations recently around issuing badges as recognition for Labs members’ roles and achievements.  Now before you say, "badges? we don't need no stinkin' badges!" [1], you should know that a few of us have already rigged up a simple system that displays badges on members' pages based on Jekyll member attributes (example: http://okfnlabs.org/members/rgrp/ ).  Badges (essentially, Font Awesome 3.2.1 icons superimposed on a badge-shaped png) we’re currently issuing are listed here: http://okfnlabs.org/join/#get-recognized .  We're looking for ideas for other types of roles and achievements we should recognize with a pretty badge.  Check out these GitHub issues for more info:

https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com/issues/278

https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com/issues/284

Ideally, it would be nice to use this work to inform a more general solution based on Mozilla's Open Badges, and there has already been some work in that direction:

https://github.com/okfn/goad

http://wiki.okfn.org/Projects/Open_Badges

https://trello.com/c/LvcBmpiN/6-badges-okfn-org-giving-recognition-for-what-people-learn-and-do-around-the-network

Looking forward to your feedback/suggestions on this topic.

Cheers,

Dan

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges

--