[okfn-labs] opening up what3words

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar.schlecht at unibas.ch
Fri May 15 10:26:27 UTC 2015

Hi list,

I have to say I find the basic idea of what3words rather pointless. Why
would you want an address scheme from which you can't draw any
conclusion at all regarding its location by just looking at it.

While the Maidenhead scheme seems pretty useful to me in "narrowing
things down" by address, the what3words scheme to me rather obscures
than helps addressing things in real life.

I mean: Wouldn't it be much more useful if neighbours had similar
addresses to my house? With what3words mind.tree.water could be right
next to pillow.chair.tablet - with no obvious connection, as far as I
see. It might make sense from a company perspective where you want
people to be forced to accessing your data to find out the actual
location. But for the user an address that helps "narrowing down" seems
by far more useful to me.

Am I missing something?

But yeah, the bottom line might actually be: If you get this open
alternative roling, you might have an additional selling point if you
have the additional feature of "narrowing down" like Maidenhead does. So
mind.tree.water would be right next to mind.tree.wanted.

Best
Ingmar

Ps.: Since I haven't introduced myself yet: I'm working at the
Unviersity of Basel as PhD student researcher in energy economics and am
generally interested in open stuff: From open source (TYPO3 CMS core
development) to open science/open data (together with some like-minded
researchers I recently founded the http://openmod-initiative.org
fostering open data and open models in our domain of energy modelling).