[OKFN-NL] [OpenSpending] €278bn through shell companies in Netherlands

k.brzezinska at xs4all.nl k.brzezinska at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 20 20:50:02 UTC 2013

dear OKFN-ers, and other friends,

Hi its Karen.

Okay, I have spoken to my pal in the US. He says the SEC won't have info
abt those companies unless they have a US branch or operations. One would
have to go at it state by state, to find which companies are registered.

However, I have now just done a google search of "trusts Netherlands" and
came up with a disquieting list of possibilities.

I will attach a screen shot because it gave me the willies.

Before we go any further, i would like to point out that 'blocking' of an
IP address seems like a downright hostile reaction. My question, have any
scrapers tried scraping from a TOR address (or similar) to avoid being
blocked?

I'd also like to point out that people who are used to secreting their
info about billions of currency units aren't known for being mild
mannered. Just FYI. If we are looking at money that's being laundered, or
'merely' evading taxation, we are not going to be popular. And these folks
are not bound by the laws of governmental courtesy, if you get my drift.

Having been married for some time to someone who represented monied
criminals (and who ended up drifting in that direction himself) I can say:
we should keep our eyes open when dealing with these matters.

Finally, is there an OKFN protocol? Were I to call these offices, looking
for info, do I say I'm a journalist working with the OKFN/ Open Spending
project? (I"m sure that would get them to open right up...!) ;-)

kind regards,

Karen Brzezinska (Amsterdam)

Got it.