[okfn-ro] Fwd: Stop Secret Contracts, and other Open Knowledge News

Silviu Vert silviu.vert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:03:23 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: newsletter at okfn.org <newsletter at okfn.org>
Date: Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Subject: Stop Secret Contracts, and other Open Knowledge News
To: Silviu Vert <silviu.vert at gmail.com>

<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/sr2TrZckeTqjQ763UtoWjL763w/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
 NEWSLETTER
JUNE 2014
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/KR5dPF2Bzs6CswjRgbk7638Q/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
   Hi Silviu Vert

Governments spend over $9.5 trillion each year on public contracts. It's
time that these contracts become transparent and open.

   The Stop Secret Contracts campaign is hotting up. We want to maximise
the number of governments with open contracting commitments in their Open
Government Action Plans. This summer, we will mobilise the campaign to take
local actions and advocate directly for those commitments.

*If you believe in this work, please show your support by signing onto the
campaign at StopSecretContracts.org
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/d3qgYXAcIkR7IethSUuJlw/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
- and then tell the world about it. *

We want to raise public awareness about this issue, which is under-reported
all over the world. Despite widespread examples of unfinished building
projects, redundant procurement, outlandish charges to access scholarly
publications and bloated defence contracts, open contracting is rarely a
top priority for civil society.

As we create a bridge between ordinary citizens, civil society
organisations and people involved in the open contracting arena, we're
asking you to add your voice to the chorus of people who believe in
transparency and think all government contracts should be open and publicly
accessible.

*The most important thing you can do today to show your support is sign the
petition *here
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/d3qgYXAcIkR7IethSUuJlw/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>*.
*Then help share on Facebook
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/uCnrJrC3HhvI4z5knmBkQw/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
, Twitter
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/JQIEAGJvJTWNwtpfnF2sqQ/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>,
or by passing on this email.

*Thank you. *

  OKFestival - get your tickets now!

*OKFestival* is on the 15th to 17th July, and we can't wait to get to
Berlin! The provisional programme
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/srdAkbeAKzDjl5fFduI5EA/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
is now live, and it's set to be a jam-packed 3 days, with a *GIF animation
jam session*, *storytelling for social change*,* open surveillance*, and
everything in between. Look out for announcements on *keynote speakers *coming
very soon.

Grab your tickets now
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/qz2M4mPMSJ37635Dkrq0Nx3A/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
to secure your place at the world's biggest open knowledge event!
    New Local Groups in Iran, Malta and more.

We're really excited by this month's cohort of new Local Groups:
welcome to *Iran,
Romania, Paraguay, Hungary, Philippines, Malta *and* El Salvador!* Find out
more about the groups and the inspiring Ambassadors driving them forwards in
this blog post
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/W892n7t6ZWSPwblfdtmKCdRw/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
.

The Open Knowledge Global Network
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/oB5plk2zuFWIVzmesX9jtQ/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
now spans 45 countries - check out the community tumblr
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/Ny3Gdn892y8TfR2w6fi8C3tg/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
for all the latest news from around the world.

  Become a School of Data Fellow

The deadline to apply to become a School of Data Fellow
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/BFGAuVu6CCd4LvW4nJvcSQ/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
has been extended til *10th June*. The Fellowships aim to recruit and
train *the
next generation of data leaders and trainers* to magnify the reach of our
data literacy programme. As mentioned in our FAQs
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/JTeXS7l1Rd8763ergJlowVQw/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
and in our recent video hangout
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/r4SWMIStrRcgFptr8P53wQ/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>,
we are open to applicants from all over the world, but we are especially
seeking great people in *Macedonia, Tanzania, South Africa, Indonesia *and*
Latin America*. We also want to encourage *women* to apply! Our team is
half men and half women, and we firmly believe that open data is for
everyone.
   Community Summit @ OKFestival

 *Save the Date!* We are thrilled to announce that the Open Knowledge
Community is organising a community session
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/9r1763y3I3id9H8920s0zMejJw/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>
on *Tuesday 15th July* from 1pm - 4pm. This will be taking place at
the OKFestival
venue
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/9hqIu1plxN3yFGDlfF892PiQ/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>,
situated in the Prenzlauer Berg area of Berlin. We'll be reaching out to
you all to help put together the agenda and other details.

If you are interested in participating or helping to organise the session,
please sign up via our Meetup page
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/IcW5FCJKAjFH16BiYTF4xw/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>.
*We are looking forward to seeing you all in Berlin! *

  view web version
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/KR5dPF2Bzs6CswjRgbk7638Q/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>

[image: Twitter]
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/4xABpzExaCFVyeykOyF763mA/nr9wRJ0ClZMUZdAzcCWxOg/MFMSLYLyF7634kA4ddgY1FvA>