[OKFN-Spain] The Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter

alberto abella alberto.abella en okfn.es
Lun Mar 3 12:30:34 UTC 2014

                                              Newsletter

                                              March 2014
                                         Is this email not
                                      displaying correctly?
                                          View it in your
                                               browser.

                                   Open Knowledge Foundation
                                                   Hi

  What a month! February may be the shortest month (at least, for those
  using the Gregorian calendar), but we've sure made the most of it. It
    seems to be the month of "the launch": the campaign to Stop Secret
  Contracts; OKFestival's website, ticket sales and Call for Proposals;
    Open Data Day 2014; Brazil and Spain as the two newest Chapters; a
   revamped Public Domain Review; a local City Census to complement the
          Country Census and resulting Index; and the Impact Stories
   competition for the Partnership for Open Data! Also, Open Knowledge
 Central published the results of the Community Survey taken at the end
     of the 2013 (huge thanks to all of you who contributed) and we're
    digesting to learn how we can support the amazing Open communities
                                                better.

February is also known for St Valentine's Day... If you are craving some
 romance in March, have a look at the 'little book of love', celebrated
                                by the Public Domain Review.

 Like the sound of what we're doing? The Open Knowledge Foundation is a
  not-for-profit organisation – all our community services are provided
openly and for free. We rely on the generosity of our institutional and
  individual supporters. Please visit okfn.org/support to find out more
             about becoming an Open Knowledge Foundation supporter.

                                    OKFestival 2014 launched
  We're very excited to announce the Open Knowledge Festival 2014! This
 global, inclusive, and participatory event is taking place July 15th –
                                   17th in Berlin, Germany.

  With the main themes of Knowledge, Tools and Society - the three main
levers of change - this will be a platform for the change Open Knowledge
is making around the world. As for what the content will be, that is up
            to you! This will be a crowd-sourced event, built by the
community. Visit okfestival.org/programme/ to see what sort of proposals
                                       we are looking for.

                  Early bird tickets are now available - get yours
                                  at okfestival.org/tickets/

                                      Stop Secret Contracts
     This month saw the launch of our new global campaign, Stop Secret
Contracts. Together with over 30 civil society groups around the world,
       we are calling on world leaders to end secrecy in contracting.

     Millions of dollars of public money are lost every year to fraud,
      corruption and lining the pockets of unaccountable corporations.
      Citizens have the right to know who is doing business with their
governments and on what terms. Transparency in government contracting is
                                     crucial to democracy.

              Sign up to the campaign to Stop Secret Contracts now.

                                        Open Data Day 2014
   This year's Open Data Day was the biggest yet, with over 190 events
taking place around the world. The global network gathered in person and
  remotely, with events from Nepal to Egypt, looking at everything from
  local government spending, to flood data, to mashing up public domain
                                  content into cool videos.

Lots of stories are reported on the Open Knowledge Foundation Community
           Stories Tumblr, and there's a round up post on the blog.

We are proud to support Open Data Day, which has fast become a key date
 in the information activist calendar. The diversity of events produced
           across the world is a fantastic expression of the vibrant
            international movement which is building for open data.

                                      New Chapters welcomed
The Open Knowledge 'official' network continues to grow, welcoming both
    Brazil and Spain as Chapters. They join Austria, Belgium, Finland,
   Germany, Greece, Spain and Switzerland as the group of organisations
       under the umbrella of Open Knowledge Foundation, making a real
       difference for Open Data and Open Knowledge in their areas and
                                             world-wide.

 You can read more about the formalisation of Spain and Brazil, as well
     as what a Chapter is and how to become one, on our blog and Local
                                            Groups pages.

                                           Impact Stories
  How does Open Data and Open Knowledge affect you? The Partnership for
               Open Data launched the Impact Stories Competition,

Prizes are available - 1000 USD for the winner, and 500 USD each for the
two runners-up - submit your story now (before the 24th March) to be in
                                  with a chance of winning.

   Check out the blog post and website for more details, and share your
                                          stories with us.

                                follow on Twitter | friend on
                              Facebook | forward to a friend
                                         All content CC-BY