[okfn-za] South Africa Street Database

Adi Eyal adi at burgercom.co.za
Sat Feb 11 15:01:04 UTC 2012

Thanks for the responses. I'll admit that I hadn't looked at open
streetmaps because I didn't expect coverage to be good but ill definitely
investigate.

My use case is that I have a list of addresses that I would like to
a) parse and correct (they were captured through a manual process so are
likely to contain some errors
b) validate, I want to check that those addresses do in fact exist
c) geocode, I want to enrich the address database with x and y coordinates.

There are commercial services that do this at a cost of R2 per record (well
not a but certainly b and c). Alternatively, you can purchase the entire
database for half a million.

It seems to me that this type of database must be built on public data. The
value-add is to collect data from the various municipalities and put it
together in a single database.

Even so, the price seems a little steep and I have no guarantee of good
coverage especially since my database includes informal settlements.

I was hoping that someone had already done some of this heavy lifting but
if not, I might take a stab at it myself.

Adi