[okfn-za] South Africa Street Database

Adi Eyal adi at burgercom.co.za
Sun Feb 12 12:44:00 UTC 2012

That's often the problem with using Google services. They all have
strings attached and they're all quite restrictive. You're right
though, Google has some of the best address parsing capabilities
around. I was involved in a project that required to validate tens of
millions of addresses in the US. We used a proprietary system to do
the heavy lifting for us (which in contrast to R500k for the South
African database cost approximately R2k and included many more useful
features). The Google maps algorithms were always generally better
than our tool but unfortunately, were too costly for us to consider
using.

Adi