[okfn-za] Open Data Census 2012

Adi Eyal adi at burgercom.co.za
Mon Jul 23 13:22:48 UTC 2012

Thanks Carolina

Here is the official invite text:

The Open Data and Democracy Initiative (ODADI) is inviting Cape Town's
top programmers, designers, journalists, and social activists to their
inaugural event, the "Coding for Democracy" Hackathon on 3-5 August,
Cape Town CBD. R25,000 in prizes will be awarded to winning solutions.

ODADI is an open, non-partisan community of citizens, technologists,
journalists, and activists dedicated to developing and applying
practical open technology and promoting open data. ODADI is committed
to working with Government and the private sector to promote
transparency and accountability in South Africa. We believe that
greater public access to government and non-government data can help
make that happen.

The purpose of the hackathon is to generate widespread interest and
awareness among programmers, the media, activists, and other
constituencies in South Africa and begin developing of a wide range of
open data solutions to help make government services more open and
efficient. Any solution developed will be non-proprietary and made
available on the event’s website and/or other channels, and free for
anyone to use, adapt or apply. Submissions may be any kind of software
application, be it for the web, a personal computer, a mobile handheld
device, console, SMS, or any software platform broadly available to
the public. Participation is free.

Please visit the website www.codingfordemocracy.org for more
information and to RSVP to the event.