[okfn-za] (no subject)

Justin Arenstein justinarenstein at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:01:28 UTC 2012

Carolina,

Hi. We've already made some progress towards setting up a pan-African open
spending portal, with country teams already collating the national budget
data for SA, Kenya, Uganda, & Tanzania. My data editor in Nelspruit, Cobus
Coetzee, is handling the ZA national budget. Cobus, Jay (who leads the East
African teams) and OKFN's Nick Skyped earlier this week about the launch
plan / steps.

I've been chatting with Adi & ODAC about pulling together a meeting in Cape
Town when I'm there for a week between May 21 - 25 to plan for what would
effectively be the 2nd phase: creating comparable open budgets for local /
city governments in the participating countries. The suggestion was that
the OKFN chapter in Cape Town could lead the process there, in
collaboration with my team in Mpumalanga, and the other country teams.

Adi was (shout if I've mis-remembered, Adi) specifically looking for
infographic / data viz people in Cape Town to help kickstart things. We
also probably need a strong digital creative who can help us build a
compelling UI for the central portal. We want to ensure that the project
appeals to ordinary people, & that it generates substantive traffic.

Cheers,
Justin

Justin Arenstein*
*