[okfn-za] Open data in South Africa

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Tue Nov 19 03:53:30 UTC 2013

Thanks for the interesting email Axolile

> We have had the most difficulties when having to access some financial
> information on service delivery agreements/ tenders. Budgeting information,
> policies and informal settlements statistics have also been difficult to
> get. We are now working on using cellphones and social media to make the
> information accessible to everyone, especially the poor in informal
> settlements who often don't get have access.

Funnily enough, my gut re-action would be that the most difficult
thing would be to get people to use the information. Getting data of
course is often hard and frustrating but we already have oodles of
data that very few people are using. Is it too early to share your
insights around usage of information by consumers?

> That being said, we are still looking for ways of accessing the information
> ourselves without much or any difficulties. any help you guys can provide
> would be much appreciated.

> Also, you mentioned once that you have access to information on tender
> resolutions from the City of Cape Town. It would be great if you can share
> that information with us.

being a complete data nerd, I'm always happy to dig my teeth into an
ATI problem. When requesting access to tender award contracts, the
City of Cape Town accused me of being "frivolous and vexatious", which
only encouraged me more.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the actual contracts (they're only
stored in hard-copy format and require manually scanning). I did get
the tender resolutions for 2013 - you can find them here:
https://docs.openafrica.net/search/group:%20code4sa

If that's not convenient, let me know and I'll upload them as a zip
file somewhere.

Adi