[okfn-za] Open data in South Africa

Robert Elliott robert at graphflow.com
Tue Nov 19 09:32:48 UTC 2013

Hi Adi,

My 2 cents: the devastation in Philippines, tornados in US and flooding in
Cape Town got me thinking about how basic services (energy, healthcare,
education, emergency services, water supply, food supply [i see the top
story today is about how a hailstorm has destroyed fruit crops in WC] etc.)
are affected during extreme weather.

Weather data and predictions are already available. You could start to look
at a single service and expand at a later point.

Ciao, Rob

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Adi Eyal <adi at code4sa.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the interesting email Axolile
>
> > We have had the most difficulties when having to access some financial
> > information on service delivery agreements/ tenders. Budgeting
> information,
> > policies and informal settlements statistics have also been difficult to
> > get. We are now working on using cellphones and social media to make the
> > information accessible to everyone, especially the poor in informal
> > settlements who often don't get have access.
> >

> Funnily enough, my gut re-action would be that the most difficult
> thing would be to get people to use the information. Getting data of
> course is often hard and frustrating but we already have oodles of
> data that very few people are using. Is it too early to share your
> insights around usage of information by consumers?
>
> > That being said, we are still looking for ways of accessing the
> information
> > ourselves without much or any difficulties. any help you guys can provide
> > would be much appreciated.
>

> > Also, you mentioned once that you have access to information on tender
> > resolutions from the City of Cape Town. It would be great if you can
> share
> > that information with us.
>
> being a complete data nerd, I'm always happy to dig my teeth into an
> ATI problem. When requesting access to tender award contracts, the
> City of Cape Town accused me of being "frivolous and vexatious", which
> only encouraged me more.
>
> Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the actual contracts (they're only
> stored in hard-copy format and require manually scanning). I did get
> the tender resolutions for 2013 - you can find them here:
> https://docs.openafrica.net/search/group:%20code4sa
>
> If that's not convenient, let me know and I'll upload them as a zip
> file somewhere.
>
> Adi
>
> > Regards,
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Adi Eyal <adi at code4sa.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> That's the longest quick note I have ever seen :)

> is
> >>
> >> My feeling is that a missing ingredient here is tech-oriented
> >> non-profits (or socially-minded for-profits) who can bridge the gap
> >> between data and information.

> our
> (It
> the
> >>
> >> I completely agree. 400 page documents need to be broken down into
> >> bite-sized information that can help me choose a better school for my
> >> child or lobby for better services from my municipality. Heavy
> >> advocacy work has its place but naively, I would like to think that if
> >> ordinary people had the right information, they could make better
> >> decisions to improve their own lives as well as those of their
> >> neighbours.

> for
> >>
> >> Technology, especially hi-tech, is the wrong target. It is expensive
> [...]

<http://www.graphflow.com>
Robert Elliott | Co-founder
robert at graphflow.com | +27 71 882 4222 |
@greenafrican<http://twitter.com/greenafrican>

GraphFlow | Product, user and content recommendations
www.graphflow.com | @graphflow <http://twitter.com/graphflow>