[okfn-za] Open Maps Database

mtb at martinb.za.net mtb at martinb.za.net
Tue Nov 19 13:14:53 UTC 2013

This looks like a useful follow-up point:
http://www.ngi.gov.za/index.php/home/legislation

In particular though, there is no indication that I saw regarding how
the material may be used.

Sections 13, 14 and 15 of the Spatial Data Infrastructure Act, 2003,
state:
13 Manner and refusal of access to spatial information
The provisions of the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (Act
2 of 2000),
relating to the manner and refusal of access to records apply to any
matter regulated in
terms of this Act.
[Date of commencement of s. 13: 8 May 2006.]
14 Supply of and accountability for spatial information
(1) A data custodian may, in the prescribed manner, appoint a data
vendor to supply
products derived from the data custodian's dataset.
(2) A data custodian is accountable for the integrity of unmodified
spatial information
which is supplied by the data vendor in terms of this Act.
(3) A data custodian or a data vendor supplying spatial information
must provide-
(a) the information in a prescribed manner; and
(b) the relevant metadata together with the spatial
information.
15 Agreements on utilisation of spatial information
(1) A data custodian or a data vendor and a user may enter into a
licensing agreement
with regard to the use of spatial information.
(2) A licensing agreement must provide for-
(a) the duration of the agreement;
(b) the legal protection of the copyright of the State and any
other interested party; and
(c) any other provision that the parties may consider
necessary and as may be prescribed.

So it looks like if we can provide a use-case, we may be able to
arrange a licence, but there is no indication of costs or such. Not sure
how freely one would be allowed to share stuff though. Does anyone have
any insight before I prod the NGI in order to find out?

The raster maps do not seem to have a cost, but the so-called online
shop is not very useful, and I can not find that page again.

Martin.