[okfn-za] Openbylaws.org.za: SA's by-laws made easy to read and share

Greg Kempe gregkempe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 08:54:24 UTC 2013

Thanks Adi. I've developed a grammar and a parser and some rules of thumb for man-handling the PDF into the AN format, targeted specifically at the sometimes quirky format used by the by-laws and the Western Cape gazette.

My primary target right now is the general citizen. Knowing the laws of your country (or city) is key to being a part of it, understanding and exercising your rights, and effecting change. I aim to take this beyond by-laws and cover all of SA's legislation.

I really want to see, for example, the Mail & Guardian provide a link when they mention "section 32(a)(i) of the Foo Act of 2009". I think it's sad that news sites link to youtube for Miley Cyrus doing her twerking thing, but have nowhere to link to for the laws that govern us. And I don't think linking to a PDF is good enough :)

Imagine if citizens could read and discuss the laws in their native language, on whatever device they have access to: textbook, feature phone, smart phone, laptop. Once we have separated the structure and content of legislation from its presentation, we can do lots of interesting things: machine translation, publication in multiple formats, analysis, comparison, cross-linking, etc.

The City of Cape Town does a great job of making most of their by-laws available, usually in English, Afrikaans and Xhosa. Others areas have much further to go.

Regarding what's still to be done: I've put up a spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoEsPfVCfH-PdGtVVTlxWnFHMWxxQ3E0MUVhbnhLZVE&usp=sharing based on what is available from http://web1.capetown.gov.za/websearch/search/search.aspx?lib=acm/comsup/Weblib&docName=Bylaw.

Cheers,
Greg