[okfn-za] Spatial data for schools

Greg Kempe greg at kempe.net
Mon Feb 10 06:59:43 UTC 2014

If you haven’t seem them yet, http://findmyschool.co.ke/ (Kenya) and http://www.findmyschool.co.uk/ both let users explore schools based on area, location etc.

--
Greg Kempe
p +27 (0)78 246 1116
w  kempe.net
t  @longhotsummer

On 08 February 2014 at 11:11:54 PM, Adi Eyal (adi at code4sa.org) wrote:

... bringing this back into the list - accidentally missed the Reply All button.

> Another idea I had was providing the address and contact details with the
> principals' names on a map. You could either look for a school or see the
> school and select it. Could be useful for people who work at schools (I do
> some of that, but we usually rock up and explain what we need to do. Never
> been turned away yet.)

I like to personalise data as much as possible. Heatmaps and other
visualisations are useful if there is a real story there. I like your
idea above. One twist would be to possible twist is for the user to
give their address and get a list of all the schools in their area
with performance. Most people don't know how good the schools in their
neighbourhood are. Have a look at http://wards.code4sa.org.

If you need help, I can get you started.

--
Adi Eyal
Director

phone: +27 78 014 2469
skype: adieyalcas
linkedin: http://za.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adi/Eyal
web: http://www.code4sa.org
twitter: @soapsudtycoon

For more information on how to participate in the open data community
in South Africa, go to: http://www.code4sa.org/#community