[okfn-za] Open Contracting Standard Launched

Jerome draco7virtus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 10:59:11 UTC 2014

Good idea and initiative.
Question: We all know that governments are there to serve the citizens of
that country, and that many/most governments act in the opposite way
because it benefits the ones at the top, the ones in power.
What is the benefit of this Open Contracting initiative to those types of
governments? Corrupt people CHOSE to be corrupt. Why will they choose to
support and follow the Open Contracting idea?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's all fantastic if good people take
action to improve the world, but in a scenario like this we need the
support of both parties. And how do you gain the support of corrupt people
and corrupt governments when the idea behind the initiative is to make it
more difficult for them to be corrupt?
I think this is a valid question.
Even if an international law is passed that makes it compulsory for
governments to operate under the Open Contracting policy, what stops
corruption from continuing on like before?

thanks
Jerome

Independent SAP Professional (Techno-Functional)
(BIG DATA ANALYTICS / BW/BI / HANA / SAP MOBILITY / PS)

Mobile:    0724615108  /  International: +27 724615108
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeromepaice