No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 GMT 2010

*A. RIGHTS GRANTED
1. The Contributor hereby grants to Wiley-VCH for the duration of the
statutory
term of copyright protection, the full and exclusive rights comprised in th=
Contribution including but not limited to the right to publish, republish,
transmit,
sell, distribute, store and process in electronic media of any kind,
include in
document delivery services and otherwise use the Contribution in whole or i=
part in electronic and print editions of the Journal and in derivative work=
throughout the world, in all languages and in all media of expression now
known or later developed, and to license or permit others to do so.
2. Reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the
final
Contribution in whole or in part in any medium by the Contributor as
permitted
by this Agreement requires a citation to the Journal and an appropriate
credit to Wiley-VCH as Publisher, suitable in form and content as follows:
(Title
of Article, Author, Journal Title and Volume/Issue Copyright =A9 [year]
copyright
owner as specified in the Journal).
3. Please note that Wiley-VCH reserves the right to require changes to the
Contribution, including changes to the length of the Contribution, as a
condition
of acceptance.
4. Please note that Wiley-VCH reserves the right, notwithstanding
acceptance,
not to publish the Contribution if for any reason such publication would
in the reasonable judgement of Wiley-VCH, result in legal liability or
violation
of journal ethical practices.
B. RETAINED RIGHTS
Notwithstanding the above, the Contributor or, if applicable, the
Contributor=92s
Employer, retains all proprietary rights other than copyright, such as
patent
rights, in any process, procedure or article of manufacture described in th=
Contribution.
C. PERMITTED USES BY CONTRIBUTOR
1. Submitted Version. Wiley-VCH licenses back the following rights to the
Contributor in the version of the Contribution as originally submitted for
publication:
a. After publication of the final article, the right to self-archive on the
Contributor=92s
personal intranet page or in the Contributor=92s institution=92s/
employer=92s institutional intranet repository or archive. The Contributor =
may
not update the submission version or replace it with the published
Contribution.
The version posted must contain a legend as follows: This is the
pre-peer reviewed version of the following article: FULL CITE, which has
been published in final form at [Link to final article].
b. The right to transmit, print and share copies with colleagues.*

Note that Wiley retains sole right in the material in this "Open Access"
article. Someone publishing a book (a commercial act) will almost certainly
have to pay Wiley. Wiley restricts the author from doing anything with
their own copyrighted versionn and takes 2500 USD off them.

And very few people care - who will challenge this other than me?

--=20

--f46d0443066cc3889f04ba674a25

This is a very useful discussion. I am some others are particularly concern=
ed with scholarly publication and so i'll move that discussion to the o=
:10 AM, Kim Tucker <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kctucker at gmail.c=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Chris and all,<br>
Libre means free as in freedom.<br>
The definition is well established and may be found at:<br>
reedomdefined.org/Definition</a><br>
and in the context of libre knowledge:<br>
=3D"_blank">http://wikieducator.org/Declaration_on_libre_knowledge</a><br>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre_Knowledge</a><br>
As you know, these definitions are rooted in the free software definition:<=
br>
tp://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html</a><br>
A libre resource either complies with the definition or it doesn&#39;t.<br>
There is no &quot;semi-libre&quot; (the FSF dropped that term &quot;semi-fr=
ee&quot; some<br>
time ago and the libre knowledge communities I know have never used<br>
pen Access&quot; scholarly publishing world where &quot;open&quot; can mean=
 almost anything and where &quot;libre&quot; also has many meanings. The us=
age is laid out by Peter Suber [copied, and on OKF advisory board] at:<br>

 target=3D"_blank">http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/442-gu=
 [from Peter Suber]: <br>
and I proposed some terms to describe two kinds of free online access:=A0=
=20
the kind which removes price barriers alone and the kind which removes=20
price barriers and at least some permission barriers as well.=A0 The=20
distinction is fundamental and widely-recognized, but we saw right away=20
that our terms (<a href=3D"http://www.earlham.edu/%7Epeters/fos/2008/04/str=
ong-and-weak-oa.html" target=3D"_blank">weak OA and strong OA</a>)
 were ill-chosen and we stopped using them.=A0 However, all of us who work
 for OA and talk about OA still need vocabulary to describe this basic=20
distinction.=A0 The most neutral and descriptive terms I&#39;ve been able t=
o=20
find so far are &quot;gratis OA&quot; and &quot;libre OA&quot;, and I&#39;v=
e decided use them=20
myself until I find better ones.=A0 This choice of terms is personal and=20
provisional.=A0 But to make it more effective, I wanted to explain it in=20
public.</li><li>&quot;Gratis&quot; and &quot;libre&quot; may not be familia=
r terms in=20
the domain of scholarly communication and OA.=A0 But in the neighboring=20
domain of free and open source software, they exactly <a href=3D"http://en.=
wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre" target=3D"_blank">express the disti=
n is about user
 OA includes or presupposes gratis OA.=A0 [...] </li><li>Because
 there are many different permission barriers to remove, there many=20
different degrees or kinds of libre OA.=A0 Gratis OA is just one thing,=20
/www.earlham.edu/%7Epeters/fos/overview.htm#definition" target=3D"_blank">B=
BB</a> definition describes one kind or subset of libre OA.=A0 But not all =
libre OA is BBB OA.=A0 </li>

<li>I&#39;m=A0
 not proposing a change in the BBB definition, and I haven&#39;t retreated=
=20
an inch in my support for it.=A0 I&#39;m simply proposing vocabulary to hel=
p=20
us talk unambiguously about two species of free online access.</li></ul>  <=
p>This blog post is just a sketch.=A0 For more detail, see the full SOAN <a=
 href=3D"http://www.earlham.edu/%7Epeters/fos/newsletter/08-02-08.htm#grati=
s-libre" target=3D"_blank">article</a>. <br>

s an indefinitely large range of meanings. The removal of a single &quot;pe=
rmission barrier&quot; can lead to libre. It is possible that libre grants =
no additional rights to the reader (it could be the permission for a librar=
y to make a copy for archival, for example).<br>
se &quot;libre&quot; in its software sense is small. I have spent years try=
ing to make this point. The OA community generally is not interested in dis=
cussing licences and words are used for their advocacy and political role. =
This leads to publishers using terms such as &quot;fully open access&quot; =
to refer to articles where the reader has no explicit rights other than to =
read them. <br>
 similar. I&#39;m happy to use BBB if people thing that&#39;s better. In th=
e OA world=A0 hundreds of millions of academic dollars are spent putting ma=
terial in repositories without clear terms of re-use. Where there are licen=
ces the vast majority are CC-NC or worse. 95% of &quot;hybrid Gold OA&quot;=
 articles, with large authorside fees (1000-5000 USD), are not BBB-complian=
t. <br>
63/">http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%292191-1363/</a=
> It uses CC-NC, costs the author 2500 USD to publish and requires transfer=
 of copyright to Wiley <br>
tions are that every copy must point to the Wiley journal, that the author =
may not distribute their submitted version except to &quot;colleagues&quot;=
 and much more.<br>
r>1. The Contributor hereby grants to Wiley-VCH for the duration of the sta=
tutory<br>
term of copyright protection, the full and exclusive rights comprised in th=
e<br>Contribution including but not limited to the right to publish, republ=
ish, transmit,<br>sell, distribute, store and process in electronic media o=
f any kind, include in<br>
document delivery services and otherwise use the Contribution in whole or i=
n<br>part in electronic and print editions of the Journal and in derivative=
 works<br>throughout the world, in all languages and in all media of expres=
sion now<br>
known or later developed, and to license or permit others to do so.<br>2. R=
eproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the fina=
l<br>Contribution in whole or in part in any medium by the Contributor as p=
ermitted<br>
by this Agreement requires a citation to the Journal and an appropriate<br>=
credit to Wiley-VCH as Publisher, suitable in form and content as follows: =
(Title<br>of Article, Author, Journal Title and Volume/Issue Copyright =A9 =
[year] copyright<br>
owner as specified in the Journal).<br>3. Please note that Wiley-VCH reserv=
es the right to require changes to the<br>Contribution, including changes t=
o the length of the Contribution, as a condition<br>of acceptance.<br>4. Pl=
ease note that Wiley-VCH reserves the right, notwithstanding acceptance,<br=

not to publish the Contribution if for any reason such publication would<br=
>in the reasonable judgement of Wiley-VCH, result in legal liability or vio=
nding the above, the Contributor or, if applicable, the Contributor=92s<br>
Employer, retains all proprietary rights other than copyright, such as pate=
nt<br>rights, in any process, procedure or article of manufacture described=
d Version. Wiley-VCH licenses back the following rights to the<br>
Contributor in the version of the Contribution as originally submitted for<=
br>publication:<br>a. After publication of the final article, the right to =
self-archive on the Contributor=92s<br>personal intranet page or in the Con=
tributor=92s institution=92s/<br>
employer=92s institutional intranet repository or archive. The Contributor =
may<br>not update the submission version or replace it with the published C=
ontribution.<br>The version posted must contain a legend as follows: This i=
s the<br>
pre-peer reviewed version of the following article: FULL CITE, which has<br=
>been published in final form at [Link to final article].<br>b. The right t=
 Access&quot; article. Someone publishing a book (a commercial act) will al=
most certainly have to pay Wiley. Wiley restricts the author from doing any=
thing with their own copyrighted versionn and takes 2500 USD off them.<br>
ef=3D"tel:%2B44-1223-763069" value=3D"+441223763069" target=3D"_blank">+44-=
1223-763069</a><br>

--f46d0443066cc3889f04ba674a25--