[Open-access] Criticisms of Finch proposals

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Dec 8 11:30:14 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm sure many of you will be aware of the criticisms of the UK government's
Finch open access proposals. For example:

http://thedisorderofthings.com/2012/12/04/open-access-hefce-ref2020-and-the-threat-to-academic-freedom/

While the inclusion of CC-BY as a standard means it is compliant with the
latest Budapest Open Access Initiative recommendations [1], as a humanities
researcher I can see why people are complaining about the Article
Processing Charges (dubbed ‘pay-to-say’).

I wonder if anyone who has been following the debate knows of any concrete
suggestions for improvements to the Finch model which retain CC-BY as a
standard, but which would enable scholars to have more choice as to where
and how they publish?

All the best,

Jonathan

[1] http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/openaccess/boai-10-recommendations