[Open-access] An anti-RWA bill

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Feb 1 10:43:37 UTC 2012

Bjorn,

The fundamental problem you're describing here is the absurd level of
prestige assigned to getting a paper (or, I should rather say, an
extended abstract) into one of the tabloids.

How are you going to change that?  If we make the move to
self-publication online, or putting everything in arXiv or similar,
how will that change the predilection of hiring committees to start by
counting the number of S&N papers candidates have?

It seems to me that you're conflating two rather separate issues: the
crazy influence of a few journals; and the lack of free access to
research.  You're criticising solutions to the latter because it
doesn't (you believe) offer solutions to the former; but I have yet to
hear ANY solution to the former.  Do you have one?  Or is your plan
just to keep the current S&N system,
but make readers pay for it instead of authors?

-- Mike.