[Open-access] Open Access Initiative - meeting notes, names and moving forwards

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Thu Feb 2 16:16:08 UTC 2012

Without proposing an actual group name, I notice that the term "public
access" has gained some currency -- for example, the NIH mandate is
called its "public access policy".  Is that better or worse?  I like
that "public" makes it explicit that we are not just talking about
access for academics.  But I have the sense that it may be a weaker
term.  Could we perhaps take advantage of this alternative terminology
by position the term "public access" as a broad concept, and "open
access" as the CC-BY subset of that?

-- Mike.