[Open-access] Open Access Initiative - meeting notes, names and moving forwards

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 08:29:56 UTC 2012

I am really excited about this - it kept me awake last night.

"@ccess" solves many of our problems.

We need to work out scope. IMO it is clearly access for everyone - to read,
reuse, redistribute [something]. We should also include creation.

It shouldn't cover everything (CKAN is there for some of that, Wiki*, etc.)
So is it Scholarship (I am conscious that I'm sometimes unconsciously fall
into being a science-ist - the equivalent of a racist). But if it's
scholarship it mustn't be a one-way process - access to academic outputs.

I think we are most likely to define it by what we do. But we should try to
scope it over the next few days.

I often find that FAQs are a good way of defining something - it's similar
to unit-tests in test-driven-development.

P.