[Open-access] How to cite the Panton Principles?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 23:53:26 UTC 2012

You've stumped me!

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been lucky enough to be invited to help write a book chapter on
> the theme of collaboration, code, and data sharing.
> Thus the Panton Principles, Science Code Manifesto and other such
> things immediately came to mind...
>
> But, having looked around a few papers that have already cited the
> Panton Principles
> e.g. these
> http://www.citeulike.org/user/rossmounce/tag/cites_panton_principles
>
> I'm a bit confused, because most have cited it as just a website, yet
> there are four authors clearly listed (PMR, Cameron, Rufus, John)! So
> um... it may seem a very simple question but...
>
> It isn't. It shows the futility of the citation economy. For me the
website is fine, except that it suffers from possibly impermanence - maybe
the site should have a DOI? Or maybe it should be bunged i a repository.

> A) How would you recommend I cite this?
>
> I suppose it depends on why it should be cited. Is it because you wish to
increase the authors' hindexes? Because it won't. Most citations are
rituals - people never read the contents. Whether putting authors' names
increases actual readers I don't know.

How would you cite the US declaration of independence? Washington,
Jefferson et. al? (Not that the PP are quite as important yet)

B) Perhaps once a recommended format is decided upon, could we put it
> up on the Panton Principles website, to make it easier for others to
> cite? e.g. a 'suggested citation format'
>
> That's a good idea.

> Some example citation forms I've seen so far include:
>
> Panton Principles, Principles for open data in science,
> http://pantonprinciples.org/
> Panton Principles for Open Data in Science: http://pantonprinciples.org/

I'd favour this as it's the actual title.